I call upon you, friends

Okay, first, a vow to not post another crap entry. This is not the venue for such ranting and raving. At least not my ranting and raving. Others', perhaps, yes, but not mine. I can't do it in an enternaining way, though I do enjoy reading the blogs of those people who have the knack for witty sarcastic rants. But, I lack the talent for it, so, I hereby vow to cease any future attempts at it. Besides, cheerfulness begets cheerfulness, no? Now to the real entry:

I call upon you, my friends (heh, mostly family) to help me to get these commissioned portraits finished, ALREADY! I was commissioned to do three portraits in the summer of 2003. So we are going on three years now. I am so ashamed. I finished one of the three on christmas eve of 2003, but have been having serious, I mean SERIOUS, block issues. And the more time that goes by and I continue to neglect it, the harder it is becoming. I've GOT to finish these portraits, and give the photo albums back to their owners. I don't know if I will even charge these poor nice people for the price I quoted them three years ago, due to holding on to their albums for so long. In fact, I should pay THEM. I'm sure they hate me and curse my name every time they think of me or speak to each other about me. And won't it be lovely to not have to think about this nagging task that I have had nagging at me for the last THREE years? SHAMEFUL. But I have to get past all of this shameful shaming and just do it...

So I thought, it might be a point of interest (please correct me if I err) to you to see the process of a portrait. By doing this, perhaps I will trick myself into painting a portrait. So here is the process, from the beginning (sort of).

I've attached a photo of the photo albums and pictures I've gone through well over three dozen times:



And here are just a few of the many, many, many failed sketches (it is so difficult to get a likeness! Especially if you're rusty, as I am)



And here is the final sketch I finally decided on, ready to be transferred to the illustration board:



Next time: Sketch onto illustration board, painting prep, and underpainting! I'll even show you details of my painting tools, if that is of interest to you. I do hope you don't mind me calling upon you to help me get this done. already.

8 comments:

plugalong said...

Wonderful! I can't wait to see the next part. Maybe once you get moving on it you'll be happy you have it to do. That's how I am, dread turns into enjoyment of almost anything, I just have to ignore my dreadful self...Anyway, I think this will be fun to read! Keep posting! [you know, I check everyone's blog almost every day to see if there is a new one, how's that for motivation ;)]

micquel said...

hey, great idea for a post! I'm way excited to see the process. Maybe I should do the same for my research paper to get me motivated for that? That would not be anywhere CLOSE to as entertaining as art. I'll think of something else...

Anyway, I like you, and I like when you post. yep.

Unknown said...

oooh! I've always wanted to watch an artist create their masterpieces. And they will be masterpieces--don't you forget it. Photos of the entire process would be much appreciated. Good luck!

plugalong said...

by the way, do your pictures automatically upload (is that the right word?) with a frame as part of your blog style of choice or do you know how to add this?

megan said...

thanks for the support and encouragement everyone! I've got to get some transfer paper before I can get to the next step, and while we are still working on Oliver's sleep, it's been hard to find a good time to go to the art supply store. I should just go to the craft store.

and to answer your question, Monica, the pictures do automatically upload with the border in my blog template. but I'll check and see if the html has anything in it that you could apply in yours...

plugalong said...

So is Oliver sleeping a little better? Your last email mentioned when you'd had some sleepless nights like it was past tense.
Bryce has been waking up again. He cries about his blankets being perfect then screams when you try to help. We try, then ignore him. It's worked pretty well..

plugalong said...

NOooooo! I always love to read everything you say. Come back!

kidzdilemmas said...

Wow! three years? even i am not that bad... that is sad. I want to see the next step, please keep posting.